Category: Community

Encourage Me I’m Young!

We simply have lost our way with our children and through EMIY, which stands for “Encourage Me, I’m Young,” we have built our Future Leaders Mentoring Program to teach young men how to lead. In 2015 we had Respect Day in our mentoring program. The leaders took the information to their teachers and administrators to get them to allow our…

Detroit Needs Real Conversation About Education. Period!

The following Letter to the Editor was published in the Michigan Chronicle on 1/16/2018. I hope it motivates you to engage in the all important conversation of “everyone” pulling together to improve education in Detroit. There are many conversations about how charter schools have ruined public education in the United States, particularly in Detroit. But most of these conversations have…

Take A Look Into One Of Detroits Dilapidated School Buildings

Kettering High School still displays the infamous big bold blue K that can be seen as you pass by Vandyke and I 94. The school that once offered every type of post-secondary prep classes now sits empty in a community impacted by poverty. Buildings like these sit all over Detroit while children are bussed to other cities and denied quality…

We Need a Place to Start Teaching Kids About Sexual Content. And School Can Be It.

Maureen Kelleher Senior Writer & Editor, Education Post I will tell you that when I read about Aziz Ansari’s “date” gone wrong, my first thought was, “This woman needs to learn how to say a clear, verbal no and leave the situation.” I REMEMBERED WHEN I DIDN’T KNOW HOW TO SAY NO, EITHER.And then I remembered when I didn’t know how to…

Edtrust Midwest Shares Thoughts on MLK Day and MI Revenue Estimates

By Brian Gutman, Edtrust Midwest Revenue Estimates Show Need for Targeted Investments Officials from the State Treasurer’s office and the House and Senate fiscal agencies came together last week to update projections of state revenue. These numbers will be used to set spending levels for the state budget, which will be announced next month. The good news is that the…

%d bloggers like this: